THE ANSWER IS NO, BTW!
If you have to be told not to ‘grope, lick, fondle, or fuck the exhibits’ you might not be in a “traditional museum.”
In my last post, MAIL TIME: Vulvas Protect from Evil, I shared a postcard that was purchased from the Vagina Museum in London, England. Of course, I had to look it up and found that it was an anti-museum to the Icelandic Phallological Museum in Reykjavik, Iceland. Someone somewhere got pissed because there was a dick museum, but no pussy museum. Thus, the Vagina Museum was born.
The wheels in my head started turning…yes, there was a need for lube to get those gears going. In this case, the lube was erotic museum flavored. I’d already spent some time at the Erotic Heritage Museum in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA during my last visit in 2017. Now, I’ve been introduced to two other museums.
How many more sexy-themed museums were there?
Fortunately, the answer to that was much less than the How Many More Dating Apps Are There? question.
Check out the list of sex museums below, sorted by continent, then in alphabetical order.
For your and my handy-dandy convenience, there’s even a cumulative Google Map of all the Sex Museums listed below. Well, the ones not permanently closed — short silence for respect.
- Jeju Love Land (제주 러브랜드) in Jeju-do, South Korea
- Hihokan – Adult Museum Atami (熱海秘宝館) in Atami, Shizuoka, Japan
- Love Museum (러브뮤지엄) in Seoul, South Korea
- Museum of Sex and Health (건강과성박물관) in Moseulpo, South Korea
- Museum of Sex Thailand in Bangkok, Thailand
- BDSM Museum in Hamburg, Germany
- Exhibits at The British Museum in London, United Kingdom
- Budapest’s Erotic&Sex Museum in Budapest, Hungary
- Erotic Art Museum in Hamburg, Germany
- Erotic Museum in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Erotic Renaissance Wax Museum (Reneszánsz Erotikus Panoptikum) in Keszthely, Hungary
- Icelandic Phallological Museum in Reykjavik, Iceland
- Museu Eròtic de Barcelona in Barcelona, Spain
- Museum of Cycladic Art (Μουσείο Κυκλαδικής Τέχνης) in Athens, Greece
- Museum of Erotics and Mythology of Brussels (Musée de L’Érotisme et de la Mythologie de Bruxelles) in Brussels, Belgium
- Muzeros (МузЭрос) in Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Музей любви «Точка G» (The G-Spot Love Museum) in Moscow, Russia
- Red Light Secrets – Museum of Prostitution in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Research and Educational Museum Sexual Cultures of the World (Науково-просвітницький музей сексуальних культур світу) in Kharkiv, Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine
- Secret Cabinet in the Naples National Archaeological Museum (Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli) in Naples, Metropolitan City of Naples, Italy
- Sex Machines Museum in Prague, Czechia
- Sexmuseum Amsterdam Venustempel in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Vagina Museum in London, England
- The Viktor Wynd Museum of Curiosities, Fine Art & UnNatural History in London, United Kingdom
- Wellcome Collection in London, United Kingdom
- Antique Vibrator Museum in San Francisco, California, USA
- Burlesque Hall of Fame Museum (formerly Exotic World Museum) in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Erotic Heritage Museum in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Leather Archives and Museum, North Greenview Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Museum of Sex in New York City, New York, USA
- World Erotic Art Museum in Miami Beach, Florida, USA
(Photo to the left reads “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, but…What happens at Harry Mohney Erotic Heritage Museum…goes on the damn internet! Take a photo or selfie & #EHMLV.) 2017. Jewell de Lis.
- Culture Center, Memory and Study of Sexual Diversity (Museu da Diversidade Sexual do Estado de S. Paulo (MDS)) in República, São Paulo, Brazil
- Exhibits at Larco Museum (Museo Larco) in Pueblo Libre, Peru
😭 closed 😭
(sorted by date closed)
Let’s face it…despite living in the 21st century, there’s still a stigma around sex and the like, which means sometimes museums devoted to the topic die. Let’s have a moment of silence for the Museums of Sex that have not survived.
- National Museum of Erotica in Canberra, Australia (2001-2002)
- 中华性文化博物馆 (China Sex Museum) in Wujiang, Suzhou, Jiangsu, China (1999-2004)
- Hollywood Erotic Museum in Los Angeles, California, USA (2004-2006)
- The Asia Eros Museum in Jongno District, Seoul, South Korea (2003-???) — re-opened as the Museum of Sex and Health (건강과성박물관) in Moseulpo, South Korea
- Exotic World – Strippers Hall of Fame in Helendale, California, USA (1968-2007) — re-opened as the Burlesque Hall of Fame Museum in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Museum of Eroticism in Venice, Italy (2006-2007)
- Museum Erotica in Copenhagen, Denmark (1993-2009)
- Erotic Museum in Warsaw, Poland (2011-2012)
- Greek Erotica Museum in Athens, Greece (2012)
- Antarang – Sex Health Information Art Gallery in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India (2002-2013)
- The Beate Uhse Erotic Museum in Berlin, Germany (1996 – 2014)
- The Erotic Art Museum in Hamburg, Germany (1996-2014)
- The Erotikos Muziejus in Kaunas, Lithuania (2009-2014)
- Museum of Eroticism in Paris, France (1997-2016)
- The ‘Secretum’ of the British Museum in London, United Kingdom (1857-???)
Have you visited any of the museums on the list? Tell me about your visit!
Did I miss one? Let me know!